Sunday 18 September 2016

PERFECT TENSES



Present perfect Tense

This tense is used to express an action which has been over or just completed e.g


Subject + has / have + verb ( third form) + object

I have eaten my food.
She has made tea.
The workers have dug a canal.
Mohan has opened a shop.

You have seen that movie many times.
Have you seen that movie many times ?
You have not seen that movie many times.

This tense also represents a past action as continuing in the present e.g 

I have worked here for five years.
( This means that i started working here for five years ago and I am still working here)

 In adverbial clauses, beginning with when, if ,before, after, as soon as where the Principal verb is in future tense. 

I shall see you after I have written the essay.


We often use the present perfect to talk about change that has happened over a period of time.


Examples:
You have grown since the last time I saw you.
The government has become more interested in arts education.
My English has really improved since I moved to Australia.


Past perfect tense 


Subect + had + verb( third form) +object

This tense is used to show an action which had been completed at some stage in the past before another action was began.
1) The doctor  had examined the patient
2) She had won the match
3) I had completed the work before you came.

You had studied English before you moved to New York.
Had you studied English before you moved to New York?
You had not studied English before you moved to New York.

Past perfect also express the idea that something occurred before another in the past. It can also show that something happened before a specific time in the past.

I had never seen such a beautiful beach before I went to Kaua.i
I did not have any money because I had lost my wallet.
Tony knew Istanbul so well because he had visited the city several times.
She only understood the movie because she had read the book.


Future perfect Tense

It is used to express an action that will have been completed at some time in future e.g

1) we shall have played the match by evening.
2) The farmer y will have ploughed the field by sun-set.

You will have perfected your English by the time you came back from the U.S.
Will you have perfected your English by the time you came back from the U.S?
You will not have perfected your English by the time you came back from the U.S?

Future Perfect with “Be Going  to “ ( am/is/are+going to have +past participle)


Examples: 

You are going to have perfected your English by the time you come back from the U.S?
Are you going to have perfected your English by the time you come back from the U.S?
You are not going to have perfected your English by the time you come back from the U.S.

The Future Perfect express the idea that something will occur before another action in the future. It can also show that something will happen before a specific time in the future.


Examples:

By next November, I will have received my promotion.
By the time he gets home , she is going to have cleaned the entire house.
Will she have learned enough Chinese to communicate before she moves to Beijing?

No comments:

Post a Comment